Department of Chemistry
About the Chemistry Department:
The Department of Chemistry (DOC) is one of the earliest department and was established in 1967. It is one of the largest and renowned departments in western Vidarbha region. The college offers following courses in Chemistry B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., Certificate / Diploma / Advance Diploma in Analytical Chemistry, with excellent infrastructural facilities and competent faculty. The department has made a significant impact in various areas of research and teaching and continues to strive for excellence. The major areas of research are the synthesis of bioactive heterocyclic molecules, drug discovery and coordination chemistry.
Chemistry has one specialization in Organic Chemistry. Department of Chemistry is rated as one of the best in the S. G. B. Amravati University, Amravati for its teaching and research activities The department possesses several sophisticated instruments to do frontier research in a broad range of disciplines. These includes UV-VIS, FT-IR spectrophotometers..DOC has a close collaboration with the National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune, C.D.R.I. Lucknow and I.I.T. Hyderabad for research activities.
- 34 Students have completed Ph.D., 08 Students submitted Ph. D. Thesis and currently 09 students are registered for Doctoral Studies.
- M. Phil. Awardees: 21
- The Department has six recognized research Supervisors.
- The Faculty Members of the Department and Research Students are actively participating in Indian Science Congress Session, Annual Convention of Chemists and other National Seminars, Conferences and Symposia.
- More than 200 research articles have been published in National /International journals.
- More than 350 research papers have been presented in National /International Conferences / Seminars / Symposia / Workshops.
- Department of Chemistry (DOC) has received large funds from the University Grants Commission (UGC) and various other government funding agencies have also given funds for execution of their projects.
Status of Research projects
- Major Research Projects Completed : 01
- Minor Research Projects Completed : 12
- Major Research Projects Ongoing : 01
- Minor Research Projects Ongoing : 03
- Consistent excellent academic results in University - The department holds glorious track record that includes University toppers in chemistry.
- It is indeed a pleasure to report that alumni of the Department are holding key positions in the Laboratories Industries viz. DRDO, N.C.L. Pune, Forensic Laboratories, IITS, U.I.C.T. Mumbai, Reliance, Reddy’s Laboratory, Ranbaxy, Cipla, Lupin, Duphar and academic institutions.
Department of Chemistry,
Shri Shivaji College,
Akola – 444003